Arsenal’s 3-0 win over Eintracht Frankfurt on Matchday 1 showed that they are serious about this competition. The Gunners will be confident of adding another 3 points to their tally when they face Standard Liege. Friday morning’s hosts have won their last 4 against the Belgians, scoring 15 goals in the process. They have also won 6 of their last 7 Europa League ties, so the home fans will be expecting 3 points here.
However, Arsenal’s defence is once again proving to be their weakest link. The 1-1 draw at Old Trafford on Monday night made it 11 goals conceded this season, and they have kept just 3 clean sheets in their 9 competitive outings.
This is by no means a new phenomenon. Arsenal have conceded in 46 of their 67 competitive matches since Unai Emery took charge, including in 14 of their last 17. In fact, the vast majority of Arsenal’s success can be directly attributed to the attacking force of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette.
Lacazette is expected to miss out through injury though, while Aubameyang is likely to be rested as well. That should give the Belgians some confidence in troubling their hosts’ backline. The visitors have scored in 10 of their 11 competitive games this season and won their Europa League opener 2-0 against Vitoria Guimaraes. Check out more of the latest UEFA Europa League matches and get the most accurate football prediction by TipsPortal.
- Arsenal have won their last 2 competitive fixtures against Standard Liege, though the last meeting between them was back in November 2009.
- Arsenal are unbeaten in their last 4 home competitive fixtures (W3 D1), scoring at least 2 goals in each.
- Standard Liege are unbeaten in their last 4 competitive fixtures (W3 D1).
- Standard Liege have scored at least 2 goals in 3 of their last 4 competitive fixtures.
Arsenal vs Standard Liege Prediction
- Despite scoring regularly, Arsenal have found clean sheets hard to come by and given the visitor’s goalscoring record, we fancy both teams to score.
- Arsenal are undoubtedly the better side coming into this contest and given their 3-0 win against Frankfurt last time out, we fancy them for a 3-1 win here.
Check out our other free football tips for the featured matches this week.