Barcelona will kick off the new La Liga campaign when they travel to San Mames to face Athletic Bilbao. Barca have won 9 of the last 13 meetings with Bilbao but the 2 league meetings last term have ended in draws. Read on for Athletic Bilbao vs Barcelona betting tips and predictions.
Barca secured their 26th La Liga title at a canter last term, finishing 9 points clear of runners-up Atletico Madrid and 19 points ahead of their bitter rivals Real Madrid. However, the way Barca ended the 2018/19 season is a real concern heading into the new campaign. They blew a 3-0 advantage against Liverpool in the Champions League semi-finals, and lost 1-2 against Valencia in the Copa Del Rey final at Benito Villamarin. Considering the fact that Valverde’s side only managed to win 1 of their last 5 away league games, this could be a more difficult fixture than it looks.
The additions of Antoine Griezmann and Frenkie De Jong over the summer should go a long way towards restoring Barca’s aura of invincibility, and the champions will be mightily difficult to stop over course and distance once again with a number of their main challengers in the midst of rebuilding their squad.
Bilbao began woefully last term but turned things around well to finish 8th after Gaizka Garitano replaced Eduardo Berizzo in December, and their home form overall is formidable heading into this encounter. They haven’t tasted defeat at San Mames since October and they will be desperate to keep that 14-match unbeaten streak intact here.
- Athletic Bilbao are unbeaten in 7 of their 8 pre-season friendlies (W3 D4).
- 7 of Athletic Bilbao’s 8 pre-season friendlies have seen both teams score.
- Barcelona are unbeaten in their last 6 competitive fixtures against Athletic Bilbao (W4 D2).
- Barcelona have kept 4 clean sheets in their last 6 competitive fixtures against Athletic Bilbao.
- Barcelona have won 4 of their 5 pre-season friendlies (L1).
Athletic Bilbao vs Barcelona Prediction
- The last 4 encounters between these 2 teams have all seen 2 or less goals scored. Athletic are a tight outfit at home and we don’t expect them to give away too many goal scoring opportunities to Barca here.
- That said, Barca are still the far superior side between the 2. They should be able to grab the victory here and we are tipping them for a narrow 1-0 win.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.