Athletic Bilbao will welcome Real Sociedad to San Mames on Saturday morning. This is always a feisty and enthralling clash between two of Spain’s biggest rivals and we are expecting more of the same, given both teams’ decent starts to their campaigns.
Athletic began this season with a fantastic 1-0 win at home to Barcelona, a result which extended their unbeaten run in the league at San Mames to 15 matches. They eked out a 1-1 draw with Getafe at Coliseum Alfonso Perez last weekend and Los Leones will certainly be confident that they can maintain their good run of form.
Sociedad will have other ideas though after also banking 4 points from their first 2 fixtures. Imanol Alguacil’s men battled hard to earn a 1-1 draw away to Copa Del Rey holders Valencia on the opening day, before pinching a 0-1 victory at Real Mallorca last week, thanks to a late strike from Martin Odegaard who started and finished a sublime counter-attacking move.
- The last 3 competitive fixtures between these 2 teams have seen both teams score.
- Athletic Bilbao are unbeaten in their last 15 home league games.
- Athletic Bilbao have won 1 and drawn 1 of their last 2 competitive fixtures.
- Real Sociedad have won their last 3 competitive fixtures against Athletic Bilbao.
- Real Sociedad have won 1 and drawn 1 of their last 2 competitive fixtures.
Athletic Bilbao vs Real Sociedad Prediction
- Both sides will certainly be fired up for this Basque derby and given what we have seen in their recent meetings, we are expecting both teams to at least find a goal each.
- Athletic Bilbao have a great home record and are unbeaten in their last 15 home league games. However, Real Sociedad have started the season well too. A draw seems a fair result here, so we are tipping this game to end 1-1.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.