Newly promoted Barnsley are all set to host recently relegated Fulham for the opening match of the 2019/20 English Championship season at the Oakwell Stadium. How will these two teams do in their return? Check our betting tips and predictions for this match up.
Barnsley returned to the EFL Championship, the second tier of English football, with a 2nd place finish in League One last season. They also won the promotion without losing a home game all season, so we expect them to keep that strong record at home heading into this match. Meanwhile, Barnsley have been impressive warming up for the new campaign. They have won 4 of their 5 preseason matches whereas the only loss came against Sheffield United.
Fulham were second bottom in the Premier League during the 2018/19 season despite of their £100million spending spree. The Cottagers had a total of 81 goals in a W7 D5 L26 record. They fell flat because of their shockingly poor defensive effort. However, we expect them to bounce back to the top flight after adding high-profile players such as Anthony Knockaert from Brighton and Ivan Cavaleiro from Wolves.
- Barnsley are winless in 6 matches against Fulham (D1 L5).
- Barnsley have won 4 of their 5 preseason friendlies (L1).
- Fulham have scored at least 2 goals in their last 4 matches against Barnsley.
- Fulham have lost 4 and won just 1 of their 6 Club Friendlies (D1).
Barnsley vs. Fulham Prediction
- Barnsley have enjoyed scoring plenty of goals during their pre-season matches while Fulham have struggled to find their best form. We think that both teams are going to score here.
- Barnsley were great in League One last season and went unbeaten at home the whole season. They should be able to avoid defeat here and we are tipping this game to end in a 2-1.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.