Basel are playing at the 3rd qualifying round of Champions League and they must be high on confidence when they host LASK Linz. The last timeout, Basel overturned a 1st leg deficit to eliminate PSV in the 2nd qualifying round by scoring 2 away goals. The Swiss side struggled massively in the first leg but their performance in the return leg against one of Holland’s best sides should fill them with confidence.
LASK Linz, who have never played in the Champions League qualifiers before and who until last year hadn’t competed in Europe’s secondary competition since 1999, bypassed the early rounds after finishing 2nd in the Austrian Bundesliga, so this will be their first taste of UCL qualifying. The visitors have started their domestic campaign in pretty fine fashion. First time out in the league, LASK beat Rheindorf Altach 2-0. They then followed that up with a 3-0 away victory over Austria Vienna.
- FC Basel has both scored and conceded away from home during the previous qualifying round.
- FC Basel has recorded 3 wins and 2 losses in 5 competitive matches.
- LASK Linz has won their last 3 competitive fixtures.
- LASK Linz has kept clean sheets in their last 2 competitive fixtures.
- Basel have produced a mixed bag of results recently, winning 3 and losing 2 out of their previous 5 matches. They have shown both their ability to score and their inability to keep things tight during the previous round. We think both teams should score here.
- LASK have enjoyed a great start to their domestic campaign, scoring 5 goals in just 2 competitive matches. We are expecting to see some fireworks here and a 2-2 draw seems like a fair result.
FC Basel 1893 vs LASK Linz Predictions
FC Basel -1 (2.04) BTTS yes (1.71)
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.