Bayern Munich are gearing up for the defence of their Bundesliga crown as they face Hertha Berlin at the Allianz Arena in their season opener. The hosts are aiming for an 8th straight title and will be hoping to get their season off to a perfect start in front of their own fans.
Bayern finished just two points ahead of Borussia Dortmund in the title race last season and there’s no doubt that Niko Kovac’s men will be eager to gain an early lead in the new campaign over BVB, particularly after losing 2-0 to them in the German Super Cup a few weeks back. The hosts, led by Robert Lewandowski, will head into this game with a comfortable 3-1 win in the DFB Pokal over Energie Cottbus. Newcomers Benjamin Pavard and Lucas Hernandez should be on show in defence, but their latest addition Ivan Perisic is suspended.
Hertha Berlin have started their competitive campaign with a convincing 5-1 victory over VfB Eichstatt, which was Hertha’s first competitive fixture since Ante Covic replaced Pal Dardai as head coach. Veteran forward Vedad Ibisevic scored 2 goals in that game, but all eyes will be on fresh-faced Dodi Lukebakio, who was signed from Fortuna Dusseldorf over the summer. Interestingly, he scored a hat-trick for Dusseldorf in a 3-3 draw against Bayern at the Allianz Arena last term.
- Bayern are unbeaten in their last 6 home competitive fixtures against Hertha (W5 D1).
- Bayern have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2 of their last 7 fixtures.
- Hertha have failed to score in their last 5 trips to the Allianz Arena.
- Hertha have won 4, drawn 2, and lost 2 of their last 8 fixtures.
Bayern vs Hertha prediction
- The visitors haven’t scored in their last 5 trips to the Allianz Arena and seeing that Bayern are expected to dominate possession at home like they always do, we fancy the hosts keeping a clean sheet here.
- The hosts were so dominant in Bundesliga at home last season and we don’t see how Hertha will be able to avoid defeat here. However, Hertha have only lost by 3 or more goals once in their last 6 visits here so we are tipping the hosts for a 2-0 win, which means backing Hertha on the Asian Handicap.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.