Celtic’s entire season changed on the back of one result last week, despite the Scottish Premiership being just two rounds into the new campaign. The Bhoys saw a 4-3 defeat to Cluj in the Champions League, dumping them out of that competition and leaving them to fight it out for a Europa League group stage place. However, the hosts aren’t done yet as they prepare to face Swedish champions AIK.
The Celtic players were desperate to return to the Champions League, but the club directors will now be feeling the pinch. That defeat means that Celtic are missing out on around £30 million from Europe’s biggest tournament, income which they could really have used. Now the money they received from Arsenal for Kieran Tierney will be used to fill the void in their financials, meaning that the side has been weakened compared to last year.
AIK narrowly made it through the last round of this competition, following their 3-2 aggregate win against Moldovan side Sheriff. The Swedish champions are having a mixed campaign in the Allsvenskan, sitting 4 points shy of the top with 10 more games left to play. The visitors could yet seal another domestic title, but they should be able to match a Celtic side who are aiming to finish the season with their 9th straight success on the bounce in Scotland.
- This will be the first competitive meeting between Celtic and AIK Solna.
- Celtic have won 6, lost 1, and drawn 1 of their last 8 competitive fixtures.
- 4 of Celtic’s last 5 competitive fixtures have seen both teams score.
- AIK have won 7 of their last 10 competitive fixtures (L2 D1).
- AIK’s last 5 competitive fixtures have seen both teams score.
Celtic vs AIK Prediction
- 4 of Celtic’s last 5 and AIK’s last 5 competitive fixtures have seen both teams score. Given their scoring form, we think it should happen again here.
- Celtic are clearly the stronger side against AIK. They have been dominant in recent times despite their 4-3 aggregate loss against CFR Cluj in their UCL qualifying campaign. With home advantage, we are tipping Celtic for an easy 3-1 win.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.