Borussia Dortmund are set to host Augsburg in the 1st round of German Bundesliga. Dortmund kicked off their 2019/20 campaign on a very high note as they won the German Super Cup at the expense of Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich. Though it includes friendly matches, Dotmund have not scored fewer than two goals in a match in their last 14 games.
With new players like Mats Hummels, Thorgan Hazard, Nico Schulz and Julian Brandt joining the fray, Borussia will be even more competitive despite losing Christian Pulisic to Chelsea. Meanwhile, BVB were able to keep 19-year-old Jadon Sancho, who was one of the best players in Bundesliga last season.
Augsburg are one of the teams that will be fighting to stay in Bundesliga once again after they ended the season just 4 points clear of the relegation zone last season. They have made no fewer than 10 new signings in the transfer window to try to avoid another relegation battle, spending close to EUR 30m in total on new blood.
Czech goalkeeper, Tomas Koubek, who joined from Rennes for EUR 7.5m is likely to start in this fixture. New signing Marek Suchy didn’t have the best of debuts as he scored an own goal which saw Augsburg dumped out of the DFB Pokal to lower league side SV Verl. Raphael Framberger, Felix Gotze, Iago Amaral Borduchi, Alfred Finnbogason, Philipp Max and Ruben Vargas are all injured while Caiuby is suspended and will not feature.
- The last 7 competitive fixtures between the two sides have seen both teams score.
- Borussia Dortmund won this match up 4-3 last season, with Paco Alcacer scoring a hat-trick.
- Dortmund scored the most home goals out of any side in the Bundesliga last season, but averaged 1.5 goals conceded per home game.
- Augsburg had the worst defence in the league last season, but also had the best attack out of sides in the bottom half of the table.
- Dortmund have spent over EUR 125m on new signings in the transfer window, whilst Augsburg have spent just under EUR 30m so far.
Dortmund vs Augsburg Prediction
- Borussia Dortmund and Augsburg have both scored plenty of goals coming into this game and based on their recent history, we think that both teams should score here.
- Borussia Dortmund have been pretty impressive in recent fixtures, winning their last 8 matches in a row. As such, we are tipping them for a 3-1 win here.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.