Freiburg will prepare for a 4th consecutive top-flight campaign after finishing 13th in the Bundesliga last term. There’s no doubt that they will be thrilled to kick off the season at home after progressing to the second round of the DFB Pokal following a tight 1-0 win away to third-tier Magdeburg last weekend.
Head coach Christian Streich looks ahead to the opening game with a bit of an injury crisis on his hands though. A number of absentees, including those of new signings Chang-Hoon Kwon and Gian-Luca Itter, opens the door for young South Korean attacker Woo-yeong Jeong, newly arrived from Bayern Munich, to make his debut for the club.
Mainz have a number of injuries of their own to deal with. French striker Mateta, who scored 4 of his club-high 14 Bundesliga goals last season against Freiburg, is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines, while star midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin left over the summer to join Everton in the Premier League. It’s going to be a challenging opening day fixture for the visitors, especially after being dumped out of the DFB Pokal first round in a 2-0 away defeat to third-tier Kaiserslautern.
- 4 of their last 6 competitive fixtures have seen both teams score.
- Freiburg have won 3 and lost 3 at home against Mainz.
- Freiburg have won 4 of their last 6 preseason friendlies (L2).
- Mainz are unbeaten in their last 5 competitive fixtures against Freiburg (W3 D2).
- Mainz have won 5 of their last 7 fixtures (L2), keeping 5 clean sheets in the process.
Freiburg vs Mainz Prediction
- Freiburg and Mainz have done well in their preseason friendlies and seeing both of them play an attacking style of football, we think that the both teams should score here.
- Freiburg have a split home record against Mainz, with 3 wins and 3 defeats. However, Mainz haven’t lost to Freiburg in their last 5 meetings so we think that the visitors can get a positive result here. We are tipping this game to end in a 2-2 draw.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.