Manchester United’s failed to impress yet again as they limped to a 2-0 defeat against West Ham at the London Stadium last weekend. With Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial missing from the matchday squad, United looked completely devoid of ideas in the final third against the Hammers, and in the end, West Ham didn’t need to play particularly well themselves to grab all 3 points.
Normally, a Carabao Cup home tie against lower league opposition would represent an opportunity for United to take out some frustrations and build confidence, though their chances of racking up a big score against the League One strugglers feel rather slim given their recent performances.
Even when fielding their supposedly best XI, United have lacked conviction in the final third this term, and since their opening day 4-0 rout of Chelsea, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men have scored a measly 5 goals in their last 6 matches.
Rochdale make the short hop to Manchester on the back of 3 defeats in their last 4, and though The Dale conceded 11 times in that quartet of poor results, they will probably be confident of avoiding a huge defeat, given that United’s attack is almost certain to be made up almost exclusively of youth team players.
United struggled to create chances against a poor Astana outfit in the Europa League the last time Solskjaer fielded those youngsters and only a late goal from Greenwood spared their blushes as United won 1-0. Check out more of the latest Carabao Cup matches and get the most accurate football prediction by TipsPortal.
- This will be the first competitive fixture between these 2 teams.
- Manchester United are winless in 4 of their last 6 competitive fixtures (D2 L2).
- Manchester United have kept 3 clean sheets in their last 4 home competitive fixtures.
- Rochdale are winless in their last 4 competitive fixtures (D1 L3).
- Rochdale have failed to score in their last 2 competitive fixtures.
Man United vs Rochdale Prediction
- United struggled to break down Astana last time out and with Solskjaer likely to field a similar line up to what we saw in that game, we think that Rochdale can avoid a huge defeat. As such we are tipping United to win by just a 1-0 or 2-0 scoreline.
Check out our other free football tips for the featured matches this week.