Recently, Middlesbrough suffered another defeat, which means that Jonathan Woodgate is starting to come under a bit of pressure. Boro are winless after 3 league games and a Football League Cup upset at home means that Woodgate is treading a fine line with the Riverside faithful. However, Wigan’s awful away record means the former Real Madrid defender has been handed a perfect opportunity to grab his first win.
Middlesbrough has been making strides in terms of their style of play, with Woodgate introducing a new attacking approach. He’s trying to move the club forward after frustrations with the Tony Pulis approach the last term. However, the club hasn’t delivered results to go along with strong performances. They kicked off with a 3-3 draw at Luton, while they should have taken more from a 1-0 loss to Brentford. The hosts have been edging the possession battle, while they are creating chances but the end product has been lacking.
A loss to Leeds last timeout showed the struggles Wigan have this term. They went through the last campaign with a huge reliance on their home matches to keep them safe. Most of their points last term were picked up in home games, while they lost 16 of their 23 matches on the road. Their first away game of the 2019/20 campaign brought a 3-0 hammering at Preston, with an abject display leading to the Latics being dismantled at Deepdale. That suggests that Boro have a perfect chance to put points on the board.
- 4 of their last 6 competitive meetings between these 2 teams have ended in a draw.
- Middlesbrough is unbeaten in their last 6 home competitive fixtures against Wigan (W3 D3).
- Middlesbrough has lost 2 and drawn 2 of their last 4 competitive fixtures.
- Wigan has won 1 and lost 3 of their last 4 competitive matches.
- Wigan has failed to score in their last 3 competitive fixtures.
Middlesbrough vs Wigan Athletic Prediction
- Wigan has failed to score in their last 3 games and seeing that the last 6 fixtures between these 2 teams at the Riverside have all been low scoring affairs, we think that “Under 2.5 Goals” will be a good bet.
- Middlesbrough is unbeaten in their last 6 home competitive fixtures against Wigan, winning 3 of those and kept 5 clean sheets in the process. Wigan isn’t good travelers, so we are backing the hosts to get a 2-0 win here.
Check out our other free football prediction and tips for the featured matches this week.