With just 1 win in their last 7 matches and an embarrassing Carabao Cup in midweek at the hands of Colchester, it is an understatement to say that Tottenham Hotspur are in the midst of a crisis at the moment.
In truth, the Londoners’ patchy and underwhelming form can be traced all the way back to the beginning of 2019, though their heroic run to last year’s Champions League Final has slightly masked their shortcomings.
Spurs have won 16, drawn 5 draws and lost 16 matches since the turn of the year and that is a pretty dreadful record for a club that is hoping to challenge for the title this season. There are also rumours surfacing that suggest that Mauricio Pochettino’s relationship with his players has become strained.
Now, Spurs have an opportunity to lift some of the gloom this weekend as they face a Southampton side that they have beaten in 7 of their last 8 home league games.
The Saints have seen an improvement in form since losing their first 2 league matches to Burnley and Liverpool respectively. They have beaten Sheffield United and Brighton since then and also earned a 1-1 draw against Manchester United. Unfortunately, they returned to their old ways last week as they fell to a disappointing 3-1 defeat to Bournemouth at St Marys in their last league outing.
Ralph Hussenhuttl’s side did bounce back in midweek as they trashed Portsmouth 4-0 in the Carabao Cup and seeing how Spurs have performed in recent games, it is safe to say that the Saints will fancy their chances of coming away from London with at least a point. Check out more of the latest English Premier League matches and get the most accurate football prediction by TipsPortal.
- 5 of Tottenham’s last 6 home competitive fixtures against Southampton have seen both teams score and “Over 2.5 Goals.
- Tottenham have won 7 of their last 8 home competitive fixtures against Southampton (L1).
- Tottenham are winless in 4 of their last 5 league games (D2 L2).
- Southampton have won their last 4 away competitive fixtures, keeping clean sheets in all 4.
Tottenham vs Southampton Prediction
- Southampton do have a good goalscoring record away from home and seeing that Tottenham have scored plenty of goals as well but have been poor in defense, we fancy both teams getting on the scoresheet.
- Tottenham might have a good record against Southampton but based on their recent performances, and Southampton’s solid away form, we think that there is value backing the visitors on the Asian Handicap. As such, we are tipping this game to end in a 2-2 draw.
Check out our other free football tips for the featured matches this week.